Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Diagnosis and Intervention
What is Ultrasound Imaging of the Musculoskeletal System?
Ultrasound imaging of the musculoskeletal system provides images of muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and soft tissues throughout the body.
What are the advantages of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound?
- Used to complement MRI
- Non-invasive and is usually painless
- No radiation
- Excellent alternative to MRI for severely claustrophobic patients
- Effectively images tendons and ligaments in patients who can not have an MRI for a variety of reasons.
When should Musculoskeletal Ultrasound be used?
- image-guided therapeutic injections to treat tendinosis, arthritis, neuromas and other conditions, such as tennis elbow;
- image-guided aspirations of bursa, ganglions and cysts;
- detection of tiny foreign bodies in soft tissues;
- ultrasound-guided needle aspiration of shoulder calcific tendonitis;
- real time dynamic evaluation of tendons.
- fenestrations of tendon for treatment of tennis elbow or plantar fasciitis.
Do I Need a Physician’s Referral for the this Examination?
Yes. We strongly urge you to discuss this study or procedure with your primary care physician. Please do not hesitate to call us for questions at 860-489-7314.